This expedition will be conducted as a live-aboard tour for small groups. It is a diving trip but it is also open to all others interested in joining (for example, nature photographers).
Longyearbyen is the starting point of our six-day discovery trip aboard the sailing yacht "Skydancer" (www.skydancer.no).
Only a few hours after leaving Longyearbyen, you can see the first polar bears, walruses, seals, and beluga whales. At night, the ship will drop anchor in protected harbors and fjords. A dinghy allows you to leave the ship for photo tours and land excursions. At times, dives will start from the ship, at other times from a dinghy.
Our route will take us north along the island of Prins Karls Forland with its walrus colonies and a lagoon where we hope to dive with walruses and bearded seals. Farther north, we will stop at the Kongsfjord with its mighty glaciers and exciting dive sites. How far we can travel north depends on the tour schedule and the pack (or drift) ice.
- Walrus colonies and walruses in the water (for security reasons, diving with walruses is not permitted, but it is possible to take pictures using a polecam)
- Bearded seals, harbor seals, and other seals (diving with seals is usually possible)
- Very good chances of spotting a polar bear
- Very good chances of spotting a beluga whale
- Clifftop bird colonies bustling with nesting seabirds
- Polar foxes, reindeer (a special species, very small in stature), ptarmigan, king eider, and various whale species are possible
- Magnificent landscape and glaciers
- Bright days and nights thanks to the midnight sun
- Unique high arctic underwater world